June 02, 2011

Lamb Meatloaf with Indian Spices

Maybe not the most impressive LOOKING dish...but don't pass this one up!
(Pictured above with Roasted Vegetable Salad with feta and toasted pecans


OK, I admit I struggled getting a good picture of… meatloaf.

Not just any old meatloaf. The addition of lamb and the perfect complement of Indian Spices make this tender meatloaf one classy dish.

I must say, I haven’t eaten much meatloaf in my life. I can’t remember it being very common during my childhood. What I do recall of meatloaf is not that great, in fact, I had the impression that meatloaf wasn’t very interesting at all.

That is before my latest issue of Fine Cooking which has a 3 page spread on all things meatloaf. Trusting Fine Cooking, like I always do, and feeling inspired, I’ve rejuvenated the idea of meatloaf at our house.

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
½ red bell pepper, chopped fine
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped fine
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 tsp ginger, minced
2.5 cups of French bread (or similar), preferably not fresh, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 cup whole milk
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 lb ground lamb
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1.5 tsp table salt
Soaking the bread
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp honey

1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red pepper and carrot and stir until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add jalapeno and ginger and stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Remove from heat and cool until warm.

2. Using a pie plate, soak bread, turning once, in milk until wet but not sloppy, about 5-10 minutes depending on bread. Squeeze bread gently to get rid of excess milk. Chop fine and add to bowl with vegetables.

Glaze with honey just before baking
3. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Add the meats, garam masala, coriander, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to bowl. Using your hands, mix thoroughly. Transfer meat mixture to dish and shape into a 10x4 inch rectangle.  Glaze the loaf with honey.

4. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until inside temperature registers 160 F on an instant-read thermometer. Let rest 10 minutes before transferring to cutting board and slicing 1-inch pieces.

Serve and prepare to take your praise!