May 21, 2011

The ultimate red meat marinade


This marinade is enhanced by wonderful flavours like curry, coriander and cumin.

I believe this one comes from my Aunt Chris’ kitchen. But my Mom has 4 sisters and to tell you the truth, I think they all just remove each other’s name and replace them with their own. Honestly, Norma’s spring salad is Marsha’s is Gayle’s you never know. If I have angry women after me for this one, at least I know they are reading! Anyway, regardless of whose name takes the credit, all of my aunts are amazing cooks. I am so lucky to come from a family of amazing women who can all cook up a storm.

This marinade gained its rave-worthy status at my house on a butterflied lamb leg. A butterflied leg of anything is simply describing the fact that the butcher has removed the bone from the meat. Trust me, you want to buy it butterflied. The husband and I learned this the hard way. I was smooth talked from some lazy butcher that it would be “so easy” to do with a sharp knife. A couple hours later, I had made the biggest mess out of my meat and the bone was still stuck right in there. The uneven mess I made of the meat absolutely ruined the chance of having evenly cooked lamb, and it turned out to be one of those underdone/overdone situations. There just wasn’t a good piece. Anyway, I digress. That’s how the recipe came into my life, but boy has it ever grown legs of its own now. No pun intended.

I mainly use this marinade on beef and lamb. Any cut will work. Steaks, roasts, butterflied legs, kebabs, etc. It even tastes good on vegetables. It takes teriyaki to a whole new level and I haven’t met its defeat, yet. So, the recipe below is a personal favourite and I think you will like it too.
Whisk ingredients together, then add meat.

Prep time: under 5
Total marinating time: at least 1 hour
Use on lamb or beef

3/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup soya sauce
2 green onions, white and light green parts chopped
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp curry powder

Shown here with ribeye steaks
Whisk ingredients together. Marinate meat for 1 hour at room temperature, or up to 24 hours in fridge. If refrigerated, let sit in room temperature for at least half hour before grilling/cooking. Cook meat as per usual depending on the type/cut. 



Serve and prepare to take your praise!